Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Break Flying By

Andrew asked me to take this picture of him prior to bedtime. It was shot on his handy little Fisher-Price camera and we took turns shooting pics of one another. (I'm not posting the ones of me because he requested "ugly faces" and boy did he capture them!) I always say that 'when he's not wearing glasses he could get away with murder in this house'. His dark, puppy eyes cast their spell if I'm not on guard, so to speak. I'm glad he hasn't figured that out yet; it's a good thing he has to wear them almost 24/7!

What a Spring Break this has been. I can't believe it's Friday already because it all flew by so fast. I'd say it was the most successful Spring Break thus far in the Peebles household. Normally, I schedule so many things in advance, worried I will lose my mind without activities to keep the kids busy, but this year I felt far more relaxed about the whole thing. Sorin was the only one desiring the Park & Recreation Camp experience, so she's been there full-time while Andrew, Sky and visiting Cecilia have stayed home. Sky demanded not to do camp this year, and Drew didn't want to attend without him so I didn't push it. We've been fortunate to have great coverage for Liam, with three homecare workers who've stayed in town over break. Liam leaves for his dad's today.

Mainly, I think it's Andrew's new ADHD medication that deserves a lot of credit. His oversensitivity, mood swings, impulsivity and hyperactivity are curbed at least 80% these days. He's not 'annoying' anyone and has been very conversational, affectionate and calm (Sky loves it). They've both had more fun together than at any other time since Andrew came home. It's amazing how much one person's mental health can affect the dynamic of an entire family. As concerned as we were about starting Drew on medication, we are seeing that his true and most beautiful qualities have been unmasked. Instead of making him someone he isn't (a zombie, or a worse, more irritable version of himself) it has helped to remove the ADHD symptoms, revealing clearly the guy we all know and love. ADHD, in it's most severe form, is like a huge cloud and we caught only glimpses of his sunshine before. We're all enjoying him so much and it's really helping with his self-esteem.

Last evening at dinner (and we're having a lot more enjoyable family dinners), Andrew reached over to hold my hand while he ate. It's something he does often, but this time he looked into my eyes, looked down with a bashful look and appeared to be summoning the courage to say something. He finally blurted out "Mom, I love you so much that I really want to marry you....Okay, I said it, there." He covered his face. If it weren't for his brown skin, we'd have seen a severe blushing. He used to say this often to me his first year home, but it's been a while since I've heard it. I just smiled and said "You don't have to marry me to love me and keep me forever, Andrew. I'm yours already." He then proceeded to say something he has never said before...something that had me laughing for a while. He got very focused and firm, saying "No, I think I will have to put Daddy into a pick-up truck, drive him away and sell him. Then I will come home and we can be married." He had such a calculated look on his face, as if he'd figured out something that's been needing a solution for a very long time. Of course, I had to laugh and finally explain a few things about "selling people" and that if he ever did take Daddy away we'd all go with him because we love him so much, especially me! Andrew then proceeded to whine and complain at his plan being foiled, and blurted out "Well, maybe in our next lifetime we can meet and get married, Mom!" That was too funny...he's trying so hard! He said "You are too old for me anyway in that body." He's got that right, not to mention I'm his mama!

No comments:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog