Thursday, March 26, 2009

3rd Week, Waiting & Waiting

Today marks 3 weeks since we sent off our dossier. Daniel spoke to the agency director on Monday and it was confirmed that our paperwork reached their office in Addis Ababa on March 19th. It's only a matter of time until they find the perfect match for our family. We keep wondering about Amelie now, if she's at Toukoul orphanage, if she's been surrendered by her birth family yet or found abandoned somewhere, how old she is, etc. I keep getting impressions that she's a toddler, but those could be glimpses into the future. I keep seeing her spiral curls, bright smile and hearing a little girl's laughter. There is no doubt she is going to be a ham (like all our kids) and we keep wondering what quirks she'll have that make us laugh every day.

I'm usually a very patient, "go with the flow" type of person. I tend to trust that all things will unfold in perfect timing (as they always have in the past), but I'm having an unusual 'bout of impatience today. I found Amelie a little sun bonnet today and can't seem to put it down for long... I keep looking at items she needs, such as blankets, bedding, dolls, toys, sippy cups, etc. I find myself striving to make her more tangible and real by acquiring or creating these little material things. She's a foggy 'idea' right now, but at the same time I can feel her presence so strongly. If I were physically pregnant I'd have a sonogram, hear her heart beat, or feel her kicking inside me to physically know that she's real. Instead, I have to wait and wait for her photo. When I finally see her face it will probably explain many things that are haunting me these days, including the deep eyes that keep looking at me. How many more weeks will it be? I wish we knew. For now, it's time for me to dive into a few diversionary projects!

2 comments:

Sam's mom said...

Just remember at 3 weeks we were only 3 weeks away from our referral. Other families are getting them in 8-9 weeks, but that's still SO CLOSE!!

Liz said...

Just pretend its the old days before sonograms and heart-beat monitors, pioneer women had to wait 9 months to see their child's face!! :)

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog