Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Basking in the Journey's Glow

Yes, I've been slacking in the blog department these days. I'll catch up if I can ever get my head out of the clouds. A mild but annoying cold has been after me while taking care of Andrew and Sky at home. Summer school ended last week. I've been walking on air, and I've no idea why. I suppose one doesn't need a reason.

We've been having enormous successes with the new points system we implemented over the weekend. Andrew has been graciously following each and every rule, and Sky has been more thoughtful with a cooler temperament. One thing I've realized through this whole ordeal is how much I love being with the two of them, and I mean ALL the time. I can't believe I'm saying that because I usually need several breaks a day, but when they're well behaved I cannot get enough of their shining, loving and gifted personalities. Daniel took Andrew to work today and I could hardly bear to be parted from him. God only knows how long this positive side of him will predominate and I want to savor every moment! He's been so affectionate, thoughtful, calm, emotionally open and helpful....not to mention extremely humorous and lighthearted (I think he's feeling better about himself these days). We're sticking to this new system until school starts, and we hope to get the new teachers cooperating with the strategy.

Liam has been the usual master of happiness. Smiles, playfulness and all around chipper energy. I was telling my mom today that he seems to be the easiest of the bunch, and that's amazing considering he has moderate-severe autism. It wasn't always that way, and I think he actually "broke me in" both as a parent, and as a human being. After all I went through in his earlier years I believe I can handle anything life throws at me. Now he just shines his light every day, and always brings smiles to Andrew and Sky's faces. When he squeals it sounds just like our tea kettle, and Sky says "Hey, tea's done!" It's very cute.

As I was posting this, Andrew got out of bed crying because he remembered the "beautiful little old lady" he met at Walgreens and was very worried about her. I told him to say a prayer for her, and reassured him that she's fine and probably doing very well. He sees elderly people as suffering, and hasn't yet realized they are often just fine like everyone else. He sees them as being close to death, and it scares him. Death terrifies him and we've been working on that. Gradually he'll be where Sky is (we hope) and feel secure in our spiritual teachings about the subject. His heart is so huge, I've no doubt he himself will grow to become a comforter for others in many, many ways.

In a nutshell, life has been amazing since last weekend...both within and around us. It's been one of those rare periods in which I see all the work and time and effort we put into our family really paying off. Motherhood is a profession that doesn't give you results instantly. It's so gradual that we often don't see them until we look way back. This week they've been sprouting out in radiant blooms and I'm basking in the glow. I don't only look for developments in my kids, I look for them in myself. That's what it's all really about anyway... our own individual journeys of growth, and how our lives shape our identities, sense of self and purpose. My kids are constantly showing me where I still have work to do on myself. I'm so grateful for that. There is a slowly developing calmness that has been growing in me over the past year, and lately it's really taking off. Much of it is being reflected back at me through my kids, and I'm digging it!

No comments:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog