Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sky's July

I'm thrilled that Daniel called the Lawrence Parks & Recreation Department this morning and enrolled Sky in an all-day Summer camp that runs 4 weeks, from June 29-July 24th! I thought he would make it all Summer at home, but he's climbing the walls and has just started the "cling to Mommy" response and needs me to entertain him at every turn. I adore him, but it can become draining after several weeks. At camp he'll have field trips, friends from school, crafts, and swimming 3-4 days a week. He's going to get that gorgeous, rich redskin tan he always gets.

Unlike me, Sky is NOT thrilled with the plan. In Spring he demanded not to do any Summer Camp this year, and since Andrew was doing Summer school I thought having him home would be a breeze. Sky was avoiding the "possibility" of being bullied at camp. Bullying happened at a different camp when he was 5 years old, and he has never forgotten about it despite the positive camp experiences last year, poor fella. I had a talk with him about how we can't avoid fun and happy experiences just because we're afraid of pain. He says he'd rather stay inside the house all Summer than go anywhere.... I think there's a name for that, like agoraphobia (sp?). It's not healthy, whatever it is. It looks like Mommy needs to nudge her little birdie out of the nest for a while so he can have a life (and she can, too!)

No comments:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog