Friday, June 19, 2009

Baby Steps

It looks like Andrew's room is down to "zero" toys. This includes all small toy cars, art supplies, stuffed animals, and most tragically- books. Granted, he does have several books to browse in the living room, along with a few puzzles and games where he can be supervised. It's a long story that I hesitated to share for two reasons: 1) it's just plain depressing, frustrating and sad to me, and 2) I have a need to protect my children's privacy, believe it or not, and 3) it's complicated. I think this is an issue many adoptive parents of older kids run into and I'm sure it's something Andrew will eventually outgrow when he has healed some core issues. I don't blame him for anything, and when I look at where he's come from, his background and such it would be surprising if he didn't have this issue.

Why doesn't Andrew have anything left in his room you ask? Well, it's due to something that has been going on ever since he came home- the need to destroy, tear apart, crack and break almost every posession he has. We used to remove only the things he broke and refused to replace them. Over the past year his room was dwindling down daily. Even his art supplies, which he coveted, were destroyed....all his wooden pencils broken in half, decorative craft papers torn to shreds, etc. It really breaks our hearts because he really loves the things when he first gets them. He even managed to crack the face of a wall clock we put over his door...I understand some children are just destructive, it's normal at his age. This goes beyond that because he always does it intentionally and to things he really loves. Over the past few months we've started seeing books torn up (new books) and that was very upsetting to us. We don't want him to be without books! The last straw was when I was looking inside his empty art desk this week and found his new school yearbook torn to pieces. The cover was completely wripped to shreds and every page torn out. I was shocked and so was everyone here. He has nothing against school, he loves school. This is simply a sign of feeling "broken" and "torn apart" on the inside. It has to be a mirror, and it's why I said in the post yesterday that we scheduled more therapy. He's come so far in a multitude of ways, but this is one issue that lingers for him. His brokenness combined with an old sense of unworthiness creates a destructive child. Deep down he feels terribly about it and doesn't understand himself consciously. He wants desperately to stop.

For now, we're using the approach of "earning back" toys. He gets a few a week, and if he treats those respectfully and doesn't destroy anything he gets a few more the next week, and so on. He goes to therapy on Monday and will start EMDR to help treat the underlying anxiety and issues surrounding it all. I keep telling him there are so many completely awesome things I want to buy him (art supplies, cool books, puppets, etc) and that I will work with him to help him through this....that he's not alone. He is SO SUPPORTED and I always want him to know that, no matter what.

Interestingly, in all other respects he's been marvelous. He's deeply loving and affectionate and is growing by leaps and bounds at school. He's shining at Summer school, and has made major progress academically and socially. Yesterday he was walking around, following me because, as he said "I love, love , love your smells Mom!" He kept hugging me and inhaling so deeply, as if he was getting his "fix" of Mommy. He's so multi-sensory and quite a little lover. He has so many amazing qualities that whenever he hits these bumps called "issues" I'm able to see through them to the true spirit that he is. He's almost blinding! It's as if we're helping him to peel away layers so that more of him can shine through. I always think that if he healed completely he'd be an overwhelming human being because there is a very bright star in there.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Thank you for being open and honest about this. We had behavior issues with our son which caused us to remove stuff from his bedroom. He too had to earn back and that was months ago-he's a different boy. I appreciate you sharing this, it will help more people to feel like they're not alone in their challenges!!

I hope the therapy helps. I just looked into that type of therapy and it's new but seems to be very effective. Good luck!

Christine said...

Hearing the info helps other families makes all the blogging worth it. and I'm relieved to hear we're not alone as well... one reason I don't like to post negative stuff is that I don't want to discourage older child adoption. For every bump we hit, there have been a thousand great and beautiful things, so the stress is lessened greatly.

And EMDR therapy has been amazing for Andrew and Sky. I don't know where we'd be without it! I need to post some simple techniques one of these days.

Special Delivery said...

Thank you for sharing such a personal, yet insightful story. I commend your bravery and Andrew's! I'll be thinking of you guys and praying for strength and patience for your family. It is also wonderful to know that in most other ways he is TERRIFIC and that you are able to see it and hold onto it! All the best!

Patti said...

You are an amazing mom. You have not only helped those who have encountered the same "issue" but you have helped every one of us who has been beyond frustrated with a kid today! That would be me!!! Your honesty is so refreshing. You have given everyone who reads your blog today something to think about. Andrew is one lucky boy.

Mom to many said...

I think you have the patience of a saint. WOW - this post hits on so many subjects and it sounds like you are dealing with them all so bravely! What an inspiration... Andrew is so loved and blessed and such a blessing to you all as well.

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog