Monday, June 8, 2009

Compassion & Beauty at Walgreen's

I was standing in line, holding Andrew's hand while we waited to pick up Amelie's family photo album prints at Walgreen's. An elderly little lady turned around and smiled at us and Andrew very cordially said "Hello" to her. She lit up and said it back to Andrew with an even bigger smile, and then she walked past us. Andrew turned to me and said "Awww, Mom, she is so, so very sweet and old. I feel so sorry and sad for that poor lady." I asked him why he felt badly about her and he shared that she looks so old, wrinkly and can't walk very well. I looked into his eyes as he spoke, and his heart was literally weeping. I turned around and we watched her with a walker, slowly turning to go down an aisle. He said "Oh Mom. She is so beautiful, look at her." He saw a grace in her, despite her age. He saw beyond it. Andrew begged to run over and help her, but I told him she's okay and doing very well on her own. He continued to beg me until he walked over to the aisle and said "Umm, I wanted to tell you that you are BEAUTIFUL!" She barely glanced back at him, and I'm not sure if she could hear well. It felt like he couldn't think of anything else to say or do for her, but he just desperately needed to say something to connect somehow.

I was touched and stunned by his actions and how much it ripped his 9 year old heart out to see someone he perceived as suffering. I wondered how he was able to handle seeing even worse off maimed, starving and homeless people on the streets in India all those years. I have always sensed a very bold and determined soul in him regarding the need to serve and help others. As a parent, my present concerns lie in the issues of not talking to strangers and boundaries. He still has a long way to go regarding socially appropriate behaviors, and when he blurted the "beautiful" comment it was said loudly and dramatically. I told him that I see a beautiful and caring heart inside of him and I'm proud of him for sincerely wanting to help someone. I added that there are many ways he's going to be able to help people as he gets older; the world needs compassionate hearts like his.

No comments:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog