Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cat's Outa the Bag

Very, very interesting. We had a sitter come over last evening so Daniel and I could share our usual weekly meal out, alone together. We ate at a delicious Greek restaurant; Daniel got his fix of salmon while I had my favorite felafel platter. Before we left the house, Andrew was set up at the table with his dinner. The sitter came in and sat with him (as we asked her to). After we left we're told he had no problem eating. Again, this afternoon we ate a pancake lunch at the church-- 3 pancakes and a cinnamon roll on his plate. He told us he was "full" after one small pancake, but we told him he has to finish or eat a lunch when he gets home. He sulked, groaned, and then started eating just fine....no gagging, vomiting, burping, nothing. All peaceful and normal.

This was eye-opening after the breakfast and lunch he up chucked on the table yesterday, not to mention the previous 6 days of meal dramas. I mentioned to him that I found it interesting that he didn't throw up at church while eating such a big meal. He looked at me whispering "Well, it would be too embarrassing if I did that there." I said "Aaaaah, so you have a choice? You can choose when you want to do it, and when you don't?" He wouldn't answer me, looked down and started changing the subject. I repeated my question, demanding that he answer me, and he finally admitted "Okay, yes! Yes, I can do it when I want to! I didn't want to do it at church Mom!" He was very annoyed. Aha! we got our confession at last.

He's pushing boundaries, looking for how much control he can have and how far out his boundaries go. With the damage he could do to his esophagus, teeth and digestive system I think we're on the right track. He's old enough for us to implement some pretty harsh consequences for the behavior if it arises again, and now we have no doubt he can control it. We'll remind him of the pancake meal, and he'll have no defense... As sad and strange as it is, I can't help finding the humor in it all. There's humor in everything, thank God!

No comments:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog