Thursday, August 13, 2009

Last Day With a Sweetheart

Today is bittersweet for our family. It's the last day we're taking care of little Cecilia after 8 months of being blessed by her presence in our home. I first started caring for her full time in December of last year as a means of raising money toward adoption expenses, and it has helped us greatly. Our airfare and stay in Ethiopia are courtesy of my time with this sweet baby girl. But I didn't expect to receive so much joy, so many smiles, and so much radiance from such a little one. She was just three months old, sooo tiny when she came and I can remember how bald she was and that I had to hold her for every feeding. I watched her sweet spirit emerge and grow every day. When anyone walks into the room she lights up and gives them such a beautiful smile. There are no words to describe how perfectly she slipped into our family.

When we started having Cecilia here, we had no idea how old Amelie would be. In our homestudy we were approved for a female child, age 0-4, so I expected and older child. Ceci was born in August '08, and when we got Amelie's referral and found out she was born in September '08 it was almost chilling. The many months I cared for Ceci I recall thinking about all the things I was missing out on with Amelie- watching her grow, cuddling, seeing her teeth come in, her development, etc. But with Ceci here I sort of experienced watching Amelie through her. This past 8 months I have loved our girl through Ceci, and it has comforted me greatly. I just know these two girls are connected. We plan to have playdates, and hope to continue to watch Ceci grow. She has just been such a beautiful, sweet presence in our lives at the right and perfect time. Sky adores her in a way that I never knew he was capable of at his age. Tending to her needs, playing with her for hours at a time and feeling so much empathy when she is upset. She softens him, and takes him out of the usual, self-centered "all about me, look at me" stage. I've learned so much about my kids by having Ceci here. As Sky says often, "Ceci is our teacher so that we know what to do when Amelie gets here. Thank you, Ceci!"

I have to add that I fear Cecilia has spoiled me rotten. She is what some might call a Zen or Buddha Baby... very easygoing, peaceful, no cholic, not demanding, great napper and easy to please. She is carefree, secure and extremely happy 99% of the time. Seriously, I would love this with Amelie but I have zero expectations in this department. We're preparing ourselves for a ball of fire, but if she's also a Zen girl that's fine, too. Whatever the case, it has been a complete joy to spend so much time with such a bright soul. Cecilia, your presence will be dearly missed, but we will be in touch!

No comments:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog