Monday, February 16, 2009

Sorin's Light

It's difficult to post about something that I didn't witness first hand. Sorin ventured out to Colorado last Thursday on a bus with over 55 kids. She had an incredible weekend at her YOU (Youth of Unity) Rally. It was held in the mountains of Allenspark, near Boulder, CO. She returned last evening at 3:30am and sacked out from 4:00am-12:00 this afternoon. She got up all rumpled and tired, filled with tears because she wasn't at Rally any more. I know that feeling after returning from a blissful place, like my guru's ashrams. You just don't want to come back to the world!

She sat down and shared with me about the amazing experience of walking through fear. Someone at Rally had taught her how to play notes and strum on the guitar, and they recommended she play a tune or two at Spirit Sharing (a kind of 'talent show' they always have). She agreed to do it, but just prior to playing she began crying off stage. She said she was terrified and wanted to back out. Suddenly she heard hundreds of teens chanting her name and she was touched. She found the courage to get on stage and basically walk through fire (I wouldn't have the courage to do it!) She sat and played a tune she made up, and when she finished everyone stood up and cheered for her. As she was telling me all this I couldn't shake the feeling I'd missed something huge in my daughter's life... this was the very first time I'd felt this way, and I think it's something that comes when your child begins growing up. She will have many experiences, both difficult and beautiful that I will not be witness to. This is hard for me to accept, but I was thrilled to know how profound this experience was for her-- a 'defining moment' in her life. How empowering for a girl who has always felt so different and often disconnected socially. How beautiful a place that must have been, and what beautiful teenagers they are to support her with such love, empathy and acceptance. She's now begging to attend the Spring Rally in Oklahoma and I wouldn't dare deny her another miraculous experience away from home.

Sorin- YOU INSPIRE ME!
ॐ ॐ ॐ ॐ ॐ ॐ ॐ ॐ ॐ ॐ

No comments:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog