Friday, February 27, 2009

Hoarse, Frazzled and Grateful

Today's the day of getting the dossier documents together for notarization. We'll be going to the bank soon with a pile of papers to sign, and they always look at us like we're nuts! "Wow! Uuuh, what's all this?" It really is worse than the pile we signed to buy our home.

As I'm doing all this organizing, there have been two boys out of school since yesterday due to parent-teacher conferences (along with the infant I care for M-F). It's been an unnerving experience because I had laryngitis the past two days and couldn't speak more than a whisper when the boys needed discipline or reprimands. It was comical, really, watching myself in a whisper yell "No, Sky! Don't do that!" I can't believe they weren't rolling on the floor from the hilarity. I ended up having to separate them about half the day just to keep my sanity, and make sure they didn't clobber each other or burn the whole house down! Seriously, I shouldn't paint it that terribly...Sky steps in so often to help with the infant care; he is a huge help. He read her a zillion story books yesterday, gave her so much love and affection and just oogled over her all day. I still cannot get over how much he loves her. I told him this morning about how she had a bowl of baby cereal and he was SO PROUD of her, beaming and complimenting her. He had to run into the kitchen screaming"Eeeeeeeee! Her super cute and tiny bowl and spoon! Aaaaaaaaaw!" I have never known a more baby-crazed 7 year old boy.

Speaking of Sky, the conference with his teacher went great last night. All areas have improved significantly since our last conference. He's showing far more self control, positive choices, and is soaring academically. He's 3 reading levels beyond where he should be, and keeps progressing. His birth mother is illiterate, and I can't help thinking about how proud she'd be (brings tears to my eyes). His reading is so good now that I'm having to ask him for privacy when writing, blogging or doing e-mail (he is a huge snoop!) No more writing stuff out and thinking my boys won't be able to decipher it. I am so not used to that because Liam, with the autism, doesn't read, and Sorin is rarely interested or focused enough to read my things. It is an interesting journey to be the first time parent of a typically developing child, but I'm enjoying it.

Now, if I can just keep them from maiming one another today. My voice is back (however hoarse). Andrew slept in, and woke up crying to me about a terrible dream. He said he was with Daddy, they had a flashlight in the dark and couldn't find me. They later realized I was gone forever and started holding each other and crying. I was standing at the stove, making scrambled egges when he shared this. I held him and had to remind him it was just a "fear dream." Like so many adopted children, he is deathly afraid of losing his mother. His great relief at holding me was palpable, as if he couldn't believe I was alive and well. Aaah dreams...I'm so glad he was able to share that with me. Maybe today will be a more calm and relaxed day, maybe not. We're just happy to have each other no matter how hairy things get.

No comments:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog