Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Big Night

Vegetable Alecha


Injera


Last evening went very well. We had a scrumptious meal...the soup was super delicious and everyone enjoyed the meal. When it came to revealing the surprise, Sky used his great mathematic problem solving abilities and figured it out very confidently before we could say anything. I pointed out that we had 7 candles lit on the table, and then Daniel said "How many people are at the table?" The kids paused while Sky's wheels turned and he said something like "We will have a 7th soon. A baby will be coming to our family, I know, I know. But not until we've grown up more." I was in disbelief, mostly because of his confident certainty. Daniel then confirmed Sky was right, but that it was happening in 2009-- everyone went bonkers! Sorin was floored in disbelief and kept needing to make sure Daniel wasn't kidding, Andrew cheered loudly, Liam gave a high-five to Daniel while Sky sat in complete amazement (as if he thought his prediction may be false). Sky then said it will be terible to have 2 babies in the house because I already offer childcare to a baby named Cecilia. Sorin fell into sadness and worry and I had to have a long talk with her afterward....she awoke sharing that she was worried about her baby sister, whether or not she was born yet, and if she was getting enough to eat. She proceeded to survey family members about baby names and so far we all love the names Ella, Amira (princess) and Amara (eternally beautiful). I told Sorin we have many months to think of names and that she may have a name already that we fall in love with. I think it's her way of personalizing an anonymous, faceless sister. Andrew was up and down about it today....he talked a lot about what it was like at Bal Vikas, surrounded by babies and being made to help take care of and clean up after them. He seemed torn after I told him he won't have to do any work with his new sister, and said "But I want to, Mom, I'm good at it!" but complaining about Bal Vikas at the same time. Sky went from elation to insecurity, to enjoying names. Sky will be relinquishing his position as baby of the family (which he loves to milk for all it's worth), and I had to remind him he'll still be our baby boy.
I'll be posting video of the blessed announcement!

1 comment:

LinZi said...

I really love how you had a surprise dinner for the kids.. a very sweet and special way to announce your new family member.. :)

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog