Sunday, May 31, 2009

Amelie's Bed




We've gotten Amelie's little corner of the world set up and it feels great. We chose to have a portable bed in our room, partly because of space and partly because of the desire for simplicity. After 4 kids I'm acutely aware of how quickly kids outgrow things and had no desire to set up a big, fancy crib. The most important thing is that she will be comfortable, feel safe, and be very close to Mommy and Daddy. I'm making an extra fluffy, padded mattress with homemade sheets to boot! The little cotton & flannel blanket hanging at the top was one I made several months ago. Notice we have no "pinks"....I'm just not very into them. The two wooden masks were hand carved in Africa, and we've had those for three years. I'm planning to put an "Amelie" name plaque under them. And Sorin and I bought the little old bear chair and plan to paint it together. I got the large bunny for Amelie this Easter (it's extremely soft), and the little doll was a gift from Grammy Lin.
We love having a "space" all set up for her. The energy has shifted in our bedroom, and we're amazed at how the bed feels smaller than the wooden trunk that was there. The room flows and feels perfect.

2 comments:

LinZi said...

hooray for not being very into 'pinks'! I always kind of feel sad that people are so into 'boxing' kids into colors.. pink and purple for girls, green and blue for boys... it's really weird when you think about it! I guess it goes along with that weird theme lately where everyone says "my is princess" about their daughters all the time...

it's all very strange when you sit back and reflect on it..

anyways, I love the stuff you have for Amelie.. so much has special meaning! :)

Linda Champion said...

Love the bear chair, it reminds me of your red fuzzy "bubba bear" chair you had as a child. Do you remember it?

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog